NBCUNIVERSAL TELEMUNDO ENTERPRISES, IN PARTNERSHIP WITH HISPANAS ORGANIZED FOR POLITICAL EQUALITY (HOPE) AND LATINO VICTORY FOUNDATION, RELEASES “THE LATINA PULSE: CHAMPIONS OF CHANGE,” AN IN-DEPTH STUDY ON ONE OF THE COUNTRY’S FASTEST GROWING AND MOST INFLUENTIAL DECISION-MAKERS
31 Million Strong, Latinas Are an Influential Consumer and Voting Group, Creating Opportunities, Striving for Representation and Driving Progress
[Click Here to Download Assets and Full Poll Results]
MIAMI, September 23, 2021 – NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises, the leading media company serving Hispanics in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, today released an in-depth national poll of the Latina community designed to develop insights on their current outlook at a critical moment in American history. In partnership with Hispanas Organized for Political Equality (HOPE) and Latino Victory Foundation, “The Latina Pulse: Champions of Change” is a detailed poll which surveyed Latinas across wide-ranging topics including education, healthcare, workforce and politics, drawing actionable findings to better understand and engage this fast-growing and influential demographic.
“This new poll shows that Latinas are leveraging their growing influence, bicultural heritage and personal strength to drive progress for our nation,” said Mónica Gil, EVP, Chief Administrative & Marketing Officer at NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. “With 31 million Latinas across the U.S. and Puerto Rico, they are entrepreneurial, highly skilled and hold significant economic and political influence to lead positive outcomes across key priorities in our country.”
As the Latina population continues to grow, they are building their representation by breaking barriers, advancing their education, opening their own businesses, staying in the workforce longer and supporting elected officials that address systemic inequalities. Despite continuing to face challenges in the healthcare and workforce systems, which have only been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, Latinas demonstrated resilience and confidence, empowers them to be optimistic and energized about the future.
“Latinas are drivers of the U.S. economy and have always been positive contributors to American society,” said Helen Torres, Executive Director and CEO of HOPE. “Our ability to overcome the barriers of racism and sexism, while starting businesses, working essential jobs and protecting our families is a demonstration of our determination and perseverance. Latinas are overwhelmingly leading and calling for change to ensure their families and communities are surviving and thriving. The success of the United States is inexorably tied to Latina success.”
“Latinas in the United States are a force that drives our community towards social justice, equity, and political power,” said Nathalie Rayes, President and CEO of Latino Victory Foundation. “For decades, Latinas have harnessed social and political engagement and women’s movements, fought for women’s rights, and strengthened political power. Latinas are a powerhouse electoral bloc who play a pivotal role in the electoral process. We hope this poll will help magnify the critical role Latinas play in our country’s prosperity and well-being and identify the challenges that Latinas face to mend these gaps with solutions and opportunities.”
Key findings from the survey include:
- Latinas are creators of wealth: Latinas influence a large part of the $1.9 trillion in purchasing power of Hispanic consumers.
- Latinas are not just a powerful consumer group; they are also investing in their future.
- 52% of Latinas age 50+ own their home
- 50% of Latinas have or plan to start putting money into a college savings account for their children
- 45% of Latinas have a savings account
- 17% of Latinas plan to invest in stocks, bonds, IRA, or a 401(k) in the next 3 years
- Latinas are not just a powerful consumer group; they are also investing in their future.
- Latinas are stewards of equality: Latinas have a greater sense of urgency to make change happen.
- 7 in 10 Latinas prioritize ending violent crime, domestic violence and gun-related violence
- 37% have experienced discrimination in public or social situations
- 54% want to close the wage gap between men and women
- 70% of Latinas want to see greater representation in media and more Latina women in senior production roles
- Latinas are powerhouses of industry: Latinas don’t wait for opportunities, they create them.
- 4 in 10 Latinas were negatively impacted in their jobs due to COVID-19
- Latinas are almost 2x more likely to own or plan to open their own business in the next 3 years compared to non-Latinas
- Latinas are more likely to pursue higher education (58%) compared to non-Latinas (41%)
- Latinas are protectors of family: Latinas are more likely to care for multigenerational families and financially support their extended families.
- 24% have suffered the loss of a loved one due to COVID-19
- 73% of Latinas self-report being vaccinated or are planning to do so
- v61% of Latina mothers report that their children are/plan to get vaccinated against COVID-19
- 49% would be in favor of their child’s school requiring COVID-19 vaccinations
- Latinas are influencers of elections: Latinas’ power is not only economic; they also have the power to sway elections.
- 63% of Latinas age 18+ are registered to vote and 56% voted in the 2020 elections
- 6 in 10 Latinas keep up with politics and current events
- 6 in 10 Latinas would support a candidate that addresses issues of racism and inequality, increasing minimum wage, combats climate change, invests in public-school systems and universal healthcare programs
- Latinas are forces of progress: Latinas are the “CEOs” of their households driven by their strength and confidence to forge ahead.
- 6 in 10 Latina moms consider themselves the “CEOs” of their household
- 78% of Latinas consider bilingualism an advantage
- 76% find it’s important to keep their culture and heritage alive
- 67% find having the perspective of two cultures gives them an edge
- 62% consider themselves 200%’ers™ where they live and celebrate being 100% Latina and 100% American
- 54% feel optimistic about the direction the country is going in
- 66% feel empowered to be and do what they want with their lives
The survey polled a national online sample of 800 Latinas and 800 non-Latinas, 18 years and older. Conducted in English and Spanish, the poll was fielded in July 2021.
Throughout Hispanic Heritage Month, Telemundo and NBCUniversal invite audiences to “Come with Us” in celebration of this year’s Hispanic Heritage Month recognizing the culture and contributions of generations of Hispanics and highlighting individuals who have enriched the United States through their achievements.
ABOUT NBCUNIVERSAL TELEMUNDO ENTERPRISES:
NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises is a world-class media company leading the industry in the production and distribution of high-quality Spanish-language content to U.S. Hispanics and audiences around the world. This fast-growing multiplatform portfolio is comprised of the Telemundo Network and Station Group, Telemundo Deportes, Telemundo Global Studios, Universo, and a Revenue Strategy & Innovation unit. Telemundo Network features original Spanish-language entertainment, news and sports content reaching 94% of U.S. Hispanic TV households in 210 markets through 30 local stations, 50 affiliates and its national feed. Telemundo also owns WKAQ, a television station that serves viewers in Puerto Rico. Telemundo Deportes is the designated Spanish-language home of two of the world’s most popular sporting events: FIFA World Cup™ through 2026 and the Summer Olympic Games through 2032. Telemundo Global Studios is the company’s domestic and international scripted production unit including Telemundo Studios, Telemundo International Studios, Telemundo International, Underground Producciones, an internationally renowned production boutique based in Argentina as well as all of the company’s co-production partnerships. As the #1 media company reaching Hispanics and millennials online, the Revenue Strategy & Innovation unit distributes original content across multiple platforms, maximizing its exclusive partnerships with properties such as BuzzFeed, Vox, and Snapchat. Through Telemundo Internacional, the largest U.S.-based distributor of Spanish-language content in the world; and Universo, the company reflects the diverse lifestyle, cultural experience, and language of its expanding audience. NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises is a division of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
About Hispanas Organized for Political Equality (HOPE):
HOPE® is a nonprofit, non-partisan organization that has empowered our communities through advocacy, Latina leadership training, and increasing knowledge on the contributions Latinas have made to advance the status of women for the past 32 years. To date, HOPE’s innovative programming has served 58,000 Latinas and touched the lives of several thousand more through our advocacy. For more information on HOPE, please visit Latinas.org or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
About Latino Victory Foundation:
The Latino Victory Foundation is a non-partisan effort to raise awareness about Latinos’ contributions to the American society and build greater understanding between Latinos and other communities. The foundation seeks to strengthen the country through conversation and uplift the values of inclusion and civic engagement.